Wednesday 16 September 2015

Food glorious food

Gala Dinner


Food Glorious Food!


Cruising's acquired a dreadful reputation for weight gain,
but I'm the living proof that you can eat your fill, and healthily 
without too much damage to the weight.


Food to me is part of the whole holiday experience. Food on board was delicious. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I eat gluten and wheat free, but the travel agent hadn't sent my requirements through.  This threw me into a bit of a spin because I certainly didn't want to be ill on board ship. However,  it wasn't long before my needs were sorted out, and I ate gluten and wheat free, with a dash of soya milk thrown in for the rest of the journey and thoroughly enjoyed it. I ate virtually the same menu as my travelling companions with just one or two gentle adjustments, which was great. Gone are the days when soya milk tastes like sawdust, and lettuce is the only wheat free option.


Life on board settled into an easy relaxed pattern.. Food was all in, so we had the option of relaxing on board ship and enjoying a leisurely lunch before setting off to explore the fresh sites, sounds and scenes each day, or slipping into town first thing to sip and savour the local wines and dishes in one of the many pavement cafes and restaurants on offer. Nothing like watching the world go by.   

Breakfast and lunch were buffets but we had a choice of main menu at the sit down meal in the evening, and were never disappointed.  We were treated to a fine array of fish, most of which I had never come across before.  However, information about them was always posted up at reception so we could make our choice.


Indonesian Meal


I take my hat off to the Indonesian crew who looked after us so well and always with a wonderful sense of humour. What a versatile bunch they are too.  Not only waiting on us hand and foot, but also putting on a show for us one evening with other crew members.  

Half way through our trip we were treated to an Indonesian Meal. This was a gastronomic feast in every sense of the word: truly an complete experience I am not going to forget. The Rotterdam's dining room was transformed into a feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds. It was now ablaze with typical colourful Indonesian style decoration, whilst delicious music filled with air,and what's more the staff greeted us in costume, 


Gala Meal 

I loved the way the crew all pitched in together to serve us on what was to be our last evening meal together. (see our menu above)  Although this certainly wasn't a 'dressy' cruise most of us donned our best to celebrate this final event. Again the ambience was quite special, and one I am going to cherish.  For me I just love the more intimate kind of atmosphere of a smaller ship, one that could not be replicated on a larger craft.

Congratulations to our Dutch chef. Your menus were always top class.

http://www.shearings.com/our-holidays/river-cruises


No comments:

Post a Comment